Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Choc Choc Chip Pea Protein Muffins with Fluffy Protein Frosting – Paleo, nut free, dairy free and Vegan options


Chocolate Swirly Goodness! 

I know Easter is over but I had a few choc chips to use up. But don't panic, these little babies are super healthy and I've added options to keep the sugars low if that's important to you. We try not to get too caught up in the mega low carb craze as they're essential for brain function and energy to get us through our busy days. The extra energy it gives us is vital when it come to getting 100% out of our workouts which in turn uses up the extra carbs we've ingested anyway. I know not everyone agrees with me and there is the school of thought that your body uses healthy fats as energy as well which is true. I've found coconut oil to be a great energy source I can't deny that but any excuse is a good one to enjoy healthy carbs ;-)


I few weeks ago I went through my pantry and ground up some pepitas, sunflower seeds and flax seeds that I wanted to use up. I've used the mixture in these which has resulted in a nut free muffin. If nut free is not important to you then just use almond meal, the result will be the same. It is good to change things around though as the nutrients profile will be a little different. Sometimes we don't think of these things, variety is key to getting a broad range of heathy vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. I suppose you could think of it like eating with the seasons. Another example of our overly processed and green house grown food. We can now get whatever fresh food we want any time of the year meaning that we're not forced into consuming what nature obviously thinks we need at these different times of the year. Think root veggies and less fruit in winter and the abundance of fresh fruit and lighter veggies in summer... ;-)



I use the protein powders from Protein Supplies Australia. They've been my favourite brand for years. I think i've been using their products ever since the company first started which for me has been about  5-6 years. I was first attracted to their ethos which is perfectly in line with everything I stand for and preach (those that are interested and will listen that is ;-) ) to my family, friends and my blog.. Their No Crap, No nasties, No fillers, No artificial ingredients labels are what got me in and I've never looked back.


Jordi is loving the pre workout that they do as well. It's called Spark and comes in a few really interesting and delicious flavours including Pineapple and coconut, Strawberry and Passionfruit and Green Apple. These all natural pre workouts not only give you a boost of energy they also:
  • Promote nitric oxide
  • Increase muscle carnosine levels
  • Support atp + energy levels
  • Increase muscle strength
  • Vasolidation
  • Antioxidant, Gluten free & Lactose free
  • No artificial colours – flavours or sweeteners
  • Vegan friendly
  • No added sugar



Choc Choc Chip Pea Protein Muffins with Fluffy Protein Frosting

Makes: 9

Ingredients:

Muffins:

1 cup ground sunflower seeds/pepitas/flax seeds*
1 cup coconut sugar or xylitol
½ cup chocolate chips * see subs
3 tbs raw cacao powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla powder

2 eggs
2 tbs coconut oil
2-3 small bananas (I used ladyfinger bananas)

Frosting:

½ cup coconut sugar
3 large tbs pea protein powder * or rice flour
2 tbs raw cacao powder
2 tbs coconut oil
2-4 tbs coconut milk, almond milk or water

Preparation:

Muffins:
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and line or grease muffin pans. 
  2. Add the first 5 ingredients to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
  3. Add the eggs, oil and bananas to a blender and blend until smooth then add to the dry ingredients and gently fold through until thoroughly combined.
  4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for 20 minutes or until done
  5. Allow to cool completely before frosting

Frosting:
  1. Add all ingredients starting with only 2 tbs milk or water to a mixing bowl and mix with a cake mixer with the whisking attachments to create a smooth and fluffy frosting. If the mix is too dry add more liquid 1tbs at at time. 
  2. Spoon into a piping bag with a decorative nozzle and pipe onto the muffins 
  3. Alternately you can spread the mixture onto the muffins with a spatula or smooth knife.
  4. Quietly devour a few then store the rest in the fridge

NOTES:
  1. Almond meal can be substituted for the grounds seeds.
  2. Whey or sprouted brown rice protein powder can be used instead of the pea protein. Both are also available from Protein Supplies Australia and contain only pure non GMO ingredients. 

Vegans
  1. Make sure to use dairy free chocolate chips, raw cacao nibs, diced pitted dates or sultanas are also a good healthy substitute.
  2. Egg substitute for vegan muffins – Soak 2 tbs ground flaxseeds in 4 tbs water for at least ½ hr then precede with recipe remembering the finished muffins usually tend to be a bit more dense. 
  3. Using the raw cacao nibs or sultanas is also another way to ensure and keep these muffins in the super healthy category, The combination of sultanas and raw cacao nibs will add the rich chocolate flavour as well as the soft, chewy bust of sweetness from the dried fruit if you combine the two.

Sugar Free and Low Carb
  1. Use cacao nibs and blueberries for the choc chips
  2. Xylitol or a stevia appropriate for baking instead of coconut sugar
  3. Sweeten the frosting with stevia, ground xylitol or rice syrup or just use all protein powder.


 Meet Poppie!! she is the cutest little thing on the planet right now. She is my daughters new baby making me a Nana to a fur baby!! Our first babysit last Friday... hahaha, at least it's easier then toddlers!! FYI she is a British Bulldog. 
Enjoy your muffins and get into that exercise, this cold weather is invigorating to say the least!! :-) 


Disclaimer: 

It's true that I have been using Protein Supplies Australia products for 5-6 years. Recently Matthew from the company saw one of my IG posts and contacted me. he has given me some samples to try, most I was already using and I do genuinely recommend them. I don't receive any money for my posts, recommendations or affiliates. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)