Saturday, June 27, 2015

Apple and Banana Bircher Muesli - a plant based dairy free and protein enhanced breakfast or snack.


My boys love their bircher muesli breakfasts and I usually make enough that there's some left for snacks as well. Lucky for them I find them a really relaxing thing to do first thing in the morning with a nice strong cup of green tea. I've come up with a really simple method thats quick, easy and usually makes enough for 2 -4 servings.

I've found it best to make up a big jar of the dry bircher muesli mix and usually make the Complete Meal Bircher mix I posted quite a while ago. I've been a bit more economical of late and because my boys do ok with grain I've been adding rolled oats. As I mentioned in the post for the Honey Oats the World Health Organisation (WHO) say that the fibre in oats can lower cholesterol by 8-23%. and they're a great source of carbohydrates that go so well with the healthy fats and protein in this recipe  which makes it a tasty, satisfying and complete meal.

Keeping in line with my budget recipes this one is also made with standard supermarket ingredients that are not only widely available but generally very economical as well. Proving that you can easily eat healthy even when your funds are limited! Hello Uni students, I have a house full of then now. Mm! that reminds me I need to get some of my basic recipes into the blog for the boys! That way I won't get text messages asking me what's in the burrito mince recipe mum, can you send it to me cos I can't find it on your blog!! ... time for me to get organised! I don't know how many times I've had to send that one to Jordi!!
Banana and Apple Bircher Muesli
Makes: approx 2 bowls

Ingredients:

2 apples - preferably organic
2 bananas
1 1/2 cups Budget Bircher Mix - recipe below
1/2 - 1 cup coconut or nut milk
Squirt of raw honey, rice syrup or maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon - optional as there is some in the bircher mix

Preparation:
  1. Great the apples and peeled bananas into a mixing bowl then add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine then turn into a serving bowls and enjoy. 
NOTE:
  1. The bircher can be made the night before for a quick and easy breakfast in the morning. 
  2. Add some of the mix to a sealed container and take to work or school/uni/gym for a morning or post workout snack, the protein in it will keep you nourished and satisfied. 

Budget Bircher Mix:

Makes: 1 large jar or 11-12 cups

Ingredients:

2 cup rolled oats
2 cup pitted dates
1 cup dried organic coconut
1 cup sultanas
1 cup almonds - preferably active but not essential
1 cup walnuts - preferably active but not essential
1 cup each sunflower seeds and pepitas (pumpkin seeds kernels) 
1/2 to 1 cup protein powder (I used this vanilla pea protein powder)
1/3 cup each of flax seeds and chia - ground
2 tbs ground cinnamon

Preparation:
  1. Add the oats and dates to a blender or food processor and blend until coarse and evenly chopped up then tip into a large mixing bowl. You can keep going until the mix is quite fine or just leave them fairly coarse, it's up to you. Tip the mix into a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add the almonds to the same blender/food processor and give them a quick pulse to chop them up, then add them to the oats/date mixture 
  3. Do the same with the walnuts, sunflower seeds and pepitas making sure you do them in small batches so that they blend evenly. 
  4. If your chia and flax is not ground add them to a blender (not a food processor) and blend until you get fine meal then add it to the mixing bowl with the rest of the mix. 
  5. Throw in the protein powder, coconut and cinnamon then stir it all together until all of the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the mix. 
  6. Spoon the mixture into a large jar or clip lock bags if that will work better for you as you will need to store it in the fridge or freezer to protect the freshness of the ground nuts and seeds. 
NOTES:
  1. Blending the dates with the oats will stop the dates from getting all sticky, you'll find that they blend really well and will turn into a type of date sugar that lends a lovely sweetness to the mix. 
  2. Adding too much to the blender can cause the bottom to get over mixed and gooey and the top staying course and sometimes not blending at all. If you are using a food processor then you should be able to do much bigger batches as the large shallow bowl allows the mix the turn over evenly. 
 You can get adventurous and use different fruit, this one has pineapple in it. 

Fig and Pear Bircher. 

Enjoy! :-) x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)