Friday, June 26, 2015

Apple and Cinnamon Protein Bars



It's been cold and rainy here for days and as much as I usually love the rain I'm just over it this time. I think it's because I just haven't seen enough sun this winter. I am in desperate need of sunshine and vitamin D, confirmed by my latest blood tests showing that I am deficient in this essential immune system strengthening vitamin. So deficient that she ordered a D3 shot for me which I had last week. Goes to show we just need to keep on top of those blood tests to see how we're going. So this morning I've moved myself out to the front deck and I'm soaking up the sunshine with the big hat on while I write this post. I must admit it's beautiful. I can't wait until my life is a little motor home covered in warm sun and I will be able to sit outside on part benches and do my posts if need be. Simple things in life, always the best.


This is going to be a quick post as I'm really busy at the moment. I'm at the end of an online course that I'm doing and got a bit behind having visitors here and then our weekend away. The next one starts tomorrow so I have to get on top of it to clear my head and leave time for blogging which I find very relaxing and I truly love doing. 


These bars are quick and simple once again like most of the stuff I make. All ingredients are mainly pantry staples which is another bonus.  I know I say that a lot and for me they are. If they're not for you then I do recommend that you only stock your cupboards with premium healthy ingredients. There will never be any excuses then to feel the best you can by eating the wrong foods. As I've also mentioned before I've used our favourite Protein Supplies Australia pea protein in the recipe for the boys who are all working out really hard and getting great results. They're all on the Protein Supplies products now. They have all commented in the last week on the gains they have made with their training, increased weights, reaching pb's (personal bests) and I can see that they are also looking great, gaining muscle and staying lean. Jordi won't do a workout unless he's had his Spark Pre Workout and hubby has taken some back to work as well as a big bag of the chocolate pea protein. He was really impressed with the taste as well. I love (and they do as well) that all of the products are quick and easy to mix, taste great and most of all don't contain any nasties, fillers, additives, preservatives etc. Just real food. :-) 

 Apple and Cinnamon Protein Bars


Makes: 12 + bars

Ingredients
1 cup rolled oats ground into flour * see notes
½ cup vanilla pea protein powder or similar
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup sultanas or raisins
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
2 peeled and grated apples
4 eggs yolks or 2 eggs
2 tbs coconut oil or butter

Preparation
  1. Use gluten free oats or quinoa flakes if applicable 
  2. Preheat oven to 170oc and  grease or line a 20cm x 20cm baking dish with baking paper.
  3. Add oat flour, protein powder, sugar, sultanas, cinnamon and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
  4. Add the grated apple then stir it through until it is all separated and covered in the dry ingredients, this will ensure that you have an even distribution of fruit throughout the bars.
  5. Make a well in the centre then add the eggs and oil and stir then together to break up the egg then gently fold through making sure not to over mix the dough.
  6. Spoon into the prepared baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and dry.
  7. Allow to cool before cutting.
NOTES:
  1. Use gluten free oats or quinoa flakes if applicable. 
  2. To get a nice sharp cut it’s best to refrigerate the whole lot before cutting. I’ve always found this is the best way to ensure sharp even edges. As you can see from my pictures I was too impatient, or at least my son was so this is how it turns out when you cut it and it is still a bit warm.
  3. Any protein powder will work but this is our favourite.
  4. Tart green apples generally give the best taste to a baked dish but you can use what ever you have or are available to you. If they are organic then there’s no need to peel them.



Rose petals from the beautiful council gardens in Kyogle collected for my by my main man. They dried and fell off the stem and the aroma in them has remained. Dark crimson roses one of my favourites when it comes to their scent so I have then sitting in a little white bowl on my kitchen window sill :-)  
Enjoy! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)