Monday, June 1, 2015

Balancing Soup



Do you ever have those days when you don't feel your best and your body is telling you it needs something light and simple, I don't like to call this a detox soup as I'm not a huge believer in all that detox stuff.. I think if we eat a healthy diet with a high proportion plant foods, sustainable proteins and healthy fats the body is continuously looking after itself.

I had a day on Sunday where, for some reason I wasn't feeling it. My stomach was a mess to put it bluntly. The colder weather has changed the way my body is digesting food, as have its needs. I am increasing my protein and fat intake as I feel they're both essential for a healthy winter diet, needless to say I am having to take it slowly as these foods are a bit heavier than my normal light fruits and veggies so I think my tum decided to have a little reaction to that... giving my digestion time to strengthen and taking it slowly. I feel fanatastic today and felt so much better yesterday as well.

This is a nice simple recipe that it prefer to call a "Restoring internal balance' soup. It just helps you to get back on top of things and feel better much quicker with it's light and easy to digest ingredients including protein for repair and satiety.


Now I'm not a nutritionist or a naturopath but I can tell you from experience that changing from a high raw food diet, veganism or especially a raw vegan diet back to healthy balanced mainstream eating (for want of another word) takes time. You can't expect to just hoover into eggs on toast with all the trimmings or protein smoothies with a mixture of fruits, protein, and fats for breakfast with a long black then follow it up with a gluten free muffin then a chicken salad for lunch . Your digestion is going to scream!! And if it doesn't well cuddo's to you sunshine, half your luck!! Your digestion is full of fire. 

Unfortunately for me, mine is a mess. I strongly believe it was a part of the reason I went looking for alternative ways to eat. We all want to feel vibrant, healthy and energetic. As I've eaten a clean, whole foods diet since I was a teen I'm in touch with how good food makes me feel.  So when things started to get a bit out of kilter I searched for answers and remedies... hence my long journey as a raw foodist and cooked vegan. I must add I've always been Paleo (well before it was a craze, it just made me feel better) and I've also been Pescatarian for at least 17 years. I haven't eaten red meat or chicken I'd guess at about 25 years or so, I don't know why it just never was my thing. 

I'm going to share some of what I do to help my body cope with eating the foods I want too,  and that I also believe are great for me. For me those are seafoods, healthy fats and eggs along with my fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds. There are some vegetables I also struggle with but I am determined to make them work for me. It's all about taking it slowly and not overdoing things. I never deprive, I allow myself to eat what ever I want when ever I want and it's this mental attitude that I know makes it easy for me to naturally be happy with my food choices. I never feel deprived and I never crave anything that would make be regret that id eaten it. For a long time now I've called it my 'Life of Abundance' it's also what I nearly called my blog to be honest with you. 

Here are my tips:
  1. Take a good quality digestive enzyme with heavier meals that contain the extra fats and proteins you may not have been consuming. Especially advisable at main meals. You may even need 2-3 depending on the brand at dinner time. 
  2. Take it slowly, only introduce one type a food every few days and see how you go with it. If you get discomfort then cut it out for an few days then introduce in smaller quantities until you can cope.
  3. Believe it or not, sometimes adding some coconut oil will help sooth the gut while easing and encouraging digestion, research has shown that it also acts as a great metabolism booster enhancing fatloss. I have to say from personal experience this is true.
  4. Try to make your meals balanced. By this I mean a healthy portion of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fats. The breakfast with could look like, Protein powder, oats and a few walnuts or a teaspoon of cold pressed flaxseed oil, add some blueberries or grated green apple. That is a balanced meal! 
Balancing Soup
Serves: 1 or 2

Ingredients:

1-2 cups water or light vegetable stock (depending on how watery you like your soup)
1-2 stalk of celery
1/3 - 1/2 red capsicum
1/2 cup slice fennel
1-2 diced tomatoes
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 diced zucchini
1-2 sliced brocoli florets 
2-3 kale leaves, de stalked and sliced
Fresh parsley, chives and rosemary - you can use whatever you have, this is what I had fresh. 
1-2 eggs or 1/2 cup cooked beans or lentils if vegan
Himalayan salt to taste 
Pinch of cayenne optional
1-3 tbs miso optional - very nice if you know you can cope with it. 

Preparation:
  1. Add all ingredients except the salt and miso to a medium pot on the stove and cook on a medium heat until the vegetable are nearly soft then add the egg/s, you can choose the let then poach in the centre or stir them through. 
  2. Turn of heat the add salt and miso. It' important not to boil these two as they both have great properties with will be destroyed at high temperatures. 
  3. Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with more fresh herbs and chill flakes if you wish. 
NOTE:
  1. Here is a post I did on salt a while ago. 
  2. Miso is fermented soybean paste and has a slight salty taste. Because of the fermentation is a probiotic good and it's this fermentation that to me, makes it ok to consume as I am not a believer in eating processed soy products. Tamari and traditionally made organic tempeh and tofu also come into this category although I will admit I'm a bit sceptical about them. With my hypothyroidism I've chosen not to consume either but you can do your own research to make your own decisions on those 2. 
The 10 scientifically researched benefits of miso:
  1. Contains all essential amino acids, making it a complete protein.
  2. Stimulates the secretion of digestive fluids in the stomach.
  3. Restores beneficial probiotics to the intestines.
  4. Aids in the digestion and assimilation of other foods in the intestines.
  5. Is a good vegetable-quality source of B vitamins (especially B12).
  6. Strengthens the quality of blood and lymph fluid.
  7. Reduces risk for breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.
  8. Protects against radiation due to dipilocolonic acid, an alkaloid that chelates heavy metals and discharges them from the body.
  9. Strengthens the immune system and helps to lower LDL cholesterol.
  10. Is high in antioxidants that protect against free radicals.  
Miso has a wonderful sweet/salty flavor that can be used in a wide variety of recipes. The color of miso can vary from light yellow, good to use in a sweet miso soup during warm weather, to a deep dark brown with earthy tones and hearty flavor, which can be cooked with cubed root vegetables, wakame sea vegetable and dark leafy greens during the colder months. When cooking with miso use just enough to enhance flavor and avoid overpowering the dish with a strong salty taste.

Reference: care2.com 

Please remember this is just my personal opinion and experience. Always consult a professional if you have ongoing difficulties as there may a problem that needs addressing. :-) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)