Sunday, June 21, 2015

Honey Oats - an economical, easy and highly nutritious treat.


Honey Oats - heart healthy goodness. 
Sunday morning baking. I've been so busy lately. It doesn't mean I haven't been in the kitchen though, just that I haven't had time to get to my computer and blog my new creations. I do miss it I must admit. But I also have to let you know that it's actually quite time consuming. 

I've had a house full with my husbands parents staying with us for 9 days which was a lot of fun but extremely hectic. I was exhausted by the time they left. My daughter and her new pup at the same time made for a full house and lots of food to prepare as we're not the type to eat out. I have a feeling the in-laws may have enjoyed some outings but my husband and I just aren't into spending all that money of food we really don't want to eat. So, I was basically preparing breakfast, dinner, snacks and lunch for up to 6 people each day. The boys are eating me out of house and home. With both at Uni now,  as well as training in our gym daily their appetites are out of control. That being said, a healthy brain and body needs good nutritious food so home made is where it's at for us. 

Then after life settled down to a dull roar we escaped in our new motor home for a long weekend away. Testing and trailing our new home/office/car to make sure we are well equipped for when we head off indefinitely. Only 5 weeks to go!!! Sheesh! Reality is about the hit. We've started a new blog that will be all about our travels around Australia, life in a motor home, house sitting, exercise on the road, healthy eating while travelling, hiking, markets and interesting people and places that we encounter on our journey and more. I'd love for you to check it out, it's called Luvinglifelivingfree.com and make sure to fill in the details so that you can follow us. I promise not to spam your inbox with useless posts. :-) 

What to make when you have a jar full of egg yolks? Ahh you say, throw them away they're full of cholesterol!! NO!!! Don't do it! Not only are they the tastiest part of the egg they're also the most nutritious. Jam packed full of nutrients, some covering your full daily allowance. 

Honey Oats - perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee 
Here are a couple of snippets from CholesterolandHealth.com that I found interesting. 

In fact, the slew of nutrients in an egg yolk is so comprehensive that a few a day would offer better insurance than a multi-vitamin. Most importantly, the yolk contains most of the nutrients in an egg.

The University of Connecticut has extensively studied the effects of eggs on cholesterol levels. These high-quality controlled studies have shown that when people consume three to four eggs per day, with the yolk, virtually everyone experiences either no change or beneficial changes in their cholesterol levels. Dr. Maria-Luz Fernandez has reviewed those studies here.

Cut the yolk and you cut out:
  • Iron
  • Potassium
  • Folate
  • Selenium
  • Vitamin A
  • Vitamin E
  • Vitamin B
  • Vitamin D
  • Biotin
Now for anyone that's struggling with the whole cholesterol thing. I know it's hard, we've had it drummed into our heads for so many years this type of brain conditioning is sometimes hard to let go of. Here's some good news for you. Oats are rockstars when it comes to clearing cholesterol out of arteries. What a great pairing these 2 have turned out to be. WHO (World Health Organisation) states from studies that 3 grams of soluble oat fibre (enough found in one bowl of oatmeal) can lower cholesterol by 8-23%. So there you go. I think I might make these and variations of them a bit more often. I'll keep you posted on any new flavours that may arise. 


 Honey Oats
These cookies are high in protein and heart healthy fibre. 

Makes: 12 biscuits

Ingredients:

2 cup rolled oats - use gluten free if required. 
2 tbs coconut sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla paste
6 egg yolks
3 tbs honey
1 tbs coconut oil or butter

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 170oc and line a baking tray with baking paper
  2. Grind the oats into a fine meal or flour in a blender then add to a mixing bowl.
  3. Add the coconut sugar and baking powder and stir through to distribute the baking powder.
  4. Make a well in the centre then add the yolks, honey and oil and mix them together then stir the wet mix through the dry.
  5. Continue until you get a thick dough then roll into balls and place on the baking tray making sure to leave a good amount of room between each ball as they will spread.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until nicely browned on the outside.
  7. Allow to cool on a wire rack. 
Honey Oats - firm on the outside with a chewish centre. 
I mentioned in the heading how economical these are and now that you've seen the ingredients list you'd have to agree. Sometimes healthy eating can seem a little our of reach when your living on a budget but the fact is that's really not true. I am going to focus a bit on it in my future recipes. As you know if you've been following my for a while. My passion is to show everyone that healthy eating is more than just expensive food that's a little bit indulgent. It's not that at all, it's what makes use feel fantastic, vibrant, energetic, healthy and best of all, it's... DELICIOUS, SATISFYING AND TASTY!

See you next time... 
Enjoy! :-) xx

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is impressive, thanks to the quality of your recipes & other content. We would be glad if you would participate on Contestchef so that your quality recipes can contest with other such bloggers/ recipe creators and win accolades from various players in the global food industry.

    Contestchef is a global forum for food/ recipe bloggers to showcase their skills to the world. This is a one of a kind concept and backed by food conglomerates around the world. Several recipe creators/bloggers are already contesting on Contestchef.
    Click to join Contestchef
    Sincerely,
    Nandy
    Contestchef

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Nandy, I'll definitely go and check it out. Sounds great and thank you for your kind comments. :-) Karen

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)