Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Paleo Vegetable Latkes

Zucchini and Carrot Latkes
There are probably a number of other names I could call these, like veggie patties, vegetable pancakes, hash browns, veggie things but I just love calling them Latkes which in essence is what they really are. If you wondering, Latkes are traditional Jewish potato pancakes that are best known as traditional Hanukkah food. Normally made with potatoes, onion and matzah or breadcrumbs then fried in oil until crisp, it’s this frying in oil that symbolises the miracle of Hanukkah. Mine are a healthier version in that their baked and not fried, although they would still be quite healthy if fried in coconut oil, butter or any other healthy high heat tolerant oil. I also use ground nuts and seeds instead of breadcrumbs or matzah. If you are on a restricted diet you can also use just the eggs whites but I do suggest you add at least one egg yolk as they are a powerhouse of nutrition. I've talked about it here 

Beetroot, Carrot and Zucchini Latkes
I've been enjoying these for a while now. They've become my staple breakfast. They're extremely versatile in that you can use what ever vegetables you have and interchange the meal/flours used as well. I've had them baked, fried and almost steamed where I just cooked then slowly in a non stick pan. I also find them great if we are going out early as I'm not one for eating first thing in the morning. They package up well and I've been able to enjoy them with a cuppa at cafe's, parks or while on the road travelling. They'd be great for a lunch box or snack later in the day.

Latkes prep
I've made the recipe generic so that you can use your favourite vegetables or at least feel that you can make then with whatever you have in your fridge. They're also a great way to use up vegetables at the end of the week when you need to go food shopping. 

 Paleo Vegetable Latkes

Makes: approx. 6 depending on how much veg you use.

Ingredients:

Choose 2-3 of the following vegetables, peel, then grate if applicable.

1 carrot
1 sweet potato
1 white potato
1/2 beetroot
1 zucchini
1 large cauliflower floret

2-4 tbs ground seeds *see note
1 egg or 2 egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional extras

Mixed herbs
Oregano
Chives
1/3 - 1/2 onion diced
Parsley
Rosemary

Preparation:

  1. Add your choice of vegetables to a large mixing bowl then add the seasonings and herbs. 
  2. Stir through so that the seasonings and seed meals are distributed through the mix
  3. Add the eggs, then mix them through thoroughly and drop large tablespoons onto a baking paper lined tray.
  4. Grill for 10 minutes or until browned then turn over and grill for another 10 minutes on the other side or until the vegetables are cooked through and they are firm.
  5. Eat while warm or add them to a lunch box for later. 

NOTE:

  1. For safety if you are going to be eating them much later in they day make sure you keep them cool. 
  2. I grind up about equal portions of flax, chia, sunflower seeds and pepitas (pumpkin kernels) then store them in a sealed glass jar in my fridge to keep them fresh and stop the oils in them from going rancid. I do enough to last about a week. 
  3. You could also use a combination of almond meal and coconut flour. Besan (chickpea) flour also works very well. 
  4. Alternatively you can fry then in a fry pan with a smear of coconut oil or butter. 

Carrot, beet and zucchini preperation
Cauliflower, sweet potato and zucchini Latkes preparation
Stirred without eggs
with eggs and ready for the grill
Ready for cooking
 If your looking to add more vegetables to your diet these are a great start. They would also work really well as a side dish at a BBQ or with a simple soup or salad. I know mine can tend to look like little morsels of burnt offering but that little dark bits are super crunchy and delicious I just can't resist them. I hope you have a go at making these and if you do please drop by let me know what you thought. Leave a pic on my facebook page or instagram feed. Looking forward to seeing you creations.

Enjoy :-) x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)