Thursday, July 16, 2015

Lemon Pistachio Cookies


Why do I call these cookies? We're Aussies and we call them biscuits! I am so influenced by overseas markets, social media and the constant online bombardment of the foodie blogs that I follow of Cookie recipes!! I think if it called them biscuits most of my followers would think I was talking about scones! Yes, us Aussies call American biscuits Scones. Are you totally confused now? Well don't be it's easy... Biscuits are cookies and Scones are Biscuits! ;-) ... now I've totally confused you.


This is the third batch of cookies I've made this week. 24 hours and there all gone. Along with this cold snap as I am totally enjoying getting out of bed early in the morning, putting the heater and oven on and having some time to myself in the kitchen to do some early morning cooking and recipe creating, my favourite time of the day to do so. Zen time you could call it. I've made a few other flavours as well which I will also share. 


I actually intended to make this version for Anzac day as they are a take on the good old Aussie favourite, Anzac biscuits. For this recipe I've modified the Paleo Anzac Biscuit recipe I did a few years ago. It's a no fail recipe that everyone always loves. I accidentally crushed the pistachios too much when I did these as I cheated and pulsed them in the blender.  I suggest you just chop them with a knife as you will get a much better affect, needless to say, the result is still impressive. The addition of the lemon and lime zest adds a decadent zing that enhances the whole pleasure factor.

 Lemon Pistachio Cookies

Makes: 27

Ingredients:

1 cup rolled oats
1 cup dried coconut
1 cup almond meal
2/3 cup cup chopped pistachios
1/2 cup coconut sugar
Zest of one lemon and a Lime if you have one!
3 tbs honey
3 tbs butter or coconut oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbs water

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celcius and line 2 baking trays with non stick baking paper. 
  2. Add the oats, coconut, almond meal, pistachios, sugar and zest to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
  3. Melt the honey and oil in a small pot on medium then take off the heat and stir the baking powder into the honey mixture until it gets frothy, quickly pour into the oat mixture along with the water and blend with a spoon or you hands to create a thick sticky mixture. 
  4. Using a cone shapped tablespoon measurer or similar dipped in water (to help the mixture release) scoop out 1 tbs of the mixture at at time, press into the measurer then hit it on the side of the bowl or your hand to release and place them on the baking tray with approximately 4-5cm between each cookie, repeat until you have used all of the mix. 
  5. Using a damp fork gently press each cookie down until the top is flat but not squashed. They will flatten out more while cooking. 
  6. Bake in the preheated oven placing one tray about 1/3 from the bottom and the other 1/3 from the top for 20 minutes.
  7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and firm up placing onto a wire wrack until crisp. 
  8. Store in an airtight sealed container. 


NOTES:

  1. Paleo and gluten free: Use slivered almonds or quinoa flakes.
  2. Vegan: Use the coconut oil and maple syrup or agave instead of honey. 
  3. If you don't have one of the coned shaped tablespoon measurers then roll them into balls then gently flatten with the fork. 

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)