Thursday, November 12, 2015

Cinnamon Caramel Protein Tart - with Paleo options


This is going to be a quick post. 1. Because I know there’s at least one person out there that wants this recipe and 2. My hubby gets back this afternoon after 2 weeks away. I know I probably won’t get time to do it tomorrow so it’s going up today.


I also need to talk more about Protein Supplies Australia and why I always tag them in my ingredients list. At first I did it just to help you guys see what I was using and where you could get it. Now, that started about 6 years ago. Recently they caught sight of some of my pictures on Instagram and have asked me to be one of their ambassadors which I have to say, I was honoured to accept. They’re not only the best tasting products of their sort around but they’re also extremely fussy about what goes into them. As you would know if you’ve been following me for a while I don’t do nasties... No processed foods, preservative, additives, chemicals or unnecessary ingredients.  All I want is good plain food just as nature intended and that’s what they do. Very well I might add. Check out my page on their site. I will be doing up a lot more recipes using the protein powders and some others as well so stay posted.




I make another one similar to this and posted the recipe in March.  It’s a Banana Caramel Fudge Tart. My boys and their mates couldn’t get enough of that one. I’ve made a lot with the protein powder as well, I love how it balances out the macronutrients profile and makes it a more complete and balanced meal or snack. Protein helps to lower the effects of the carbohydrates as well and cinnamon is great for balancing out insulin. The addition of coconut and coconut oil which is known for it’s metabolism boosting power there’s no need to feel guilty about snacking on this ooey gooey sweet treat. And I mean lets admit it, who doesn’t like thick, creamy, gooey, fudgy,  caramelly treats.

Cinnamon Caramel Protein Tart

Makes: 2 x 12cm round tart

You will need:

1 x approx. 12 cm round glass pyrex bowl if you don’t have a medium sized or 6 small quick release tart pans.
Blender
Food processor – Not really necessary as you could use your blender but it does make it easy to do the base.

Ingredients:

Base:

4 tbs (1/2 cup) rolled oats
4 tbs (1/2 cup) dried coconut
4 tbs (1/2 cup) pitted dried dates
1 heaped tbs raw cacao powder
1-2 tbs raw honey or maple syrup
1 tbs coconut oil

Filling:

3 tbs Oat flour (ground rolled oats)
3 tbs Protein Supplies Australia Vanilla Pea Protein Powder or similar
10 pitted dates or about 5-6 large pitted Medjools
2 tbs raw honey or maple syrup
1 tsp psyllium husk or seeds
½ tsp ground cinnamon
250ml warm water or coconut milk  

Preparation:
  1. Line a 12 cm glass Pyrex bowl with non-stick baking paper if you don’t have a quick release tart pan. 
  2. Add all of the filling ingredients to a bowl with the warm and allow it to sit for about an hour, the longer you leave it the softer the dates will be making the easier to blend.
  3. Add the oats, coconut, dates and cacao to a blender and blend until it turn into a fine meal.
  4. Add the sweetener and the coconut oil to the blender and blend until sticky when pressed together in your fingers.
  5. Turn base mixture into the bottom of the bowl/pan and spread it evenly accros the bottom and up the sides then press it down to create a well formed base.
  6. Add the filling ingredients to the blender and blend on high until it becomes super smooth and creamy.
  7. Spoon mixture onto the base and either leave in a mound or flatten out with the back of a spoon or a flat knife.
  8. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon and coconut (not shown here) and place into the fridge to cool.

NOTES:
  1. Paleo options: Use almonds or walnuts instead of the oats in the base and cashews in the filling instead of the oat flour. If the mixture in sticky enough after blending then don’t add the honey or coconut oil.
  2. If using fresh medjool dates you won’t need as many as they are always much larger than the packaged dried ones.




You may also like







Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)