Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Mango and Walnut Protein Fudge Balls



Yesterday was transition day. That's the day when my main man goes back to work and I have to get back into my work. It's always a bit of a blah day. Not usually very constructive although I do achieve a few things.. Like the washing :-) Not a biggy I know but it's something. Especially when you live in a motorhome with no washing machine. We've travelled from Townsville to Cairns since last Saturday and It's just beautiful up here. Townsville unfortunately is just so dry and desolate. It sort of gets depressing after and while. You only have to travel about 2 hours north and the whole landscape just comes to life. Forrest's, green pastures, rain, cool breezes. There's something about tropical lush vegetation that just brings me back to life. I also love being close to the ocean. Where I'm staying now I can ride my bike to the Esplanade, town centre, coffee shops and a large shopping centre. I'm getting pretty good at lugging all of my shopping bags back on the bike. Lucky for me there's a great path I can get on that brings me directly back to my location as I've been known to overload myself a bit and end up being a bit of train wreck trying to stop and start at lights and navigating through narrow passages. I just call it an adventure. I'm also looking forward to Rusty's markets this weekend. It's a 3 day market in the centre of town and it's huge. The freshness and variety is second to none and it's really well priced. I always make sure I drop in Sunday afternoon just before they close as that's the perfect time to pick up mega bargains. 


Back to me balls!! I've been having a lot of fun working with my friends from Protein Supplies Australia as you'd know if you've been following me. Did you check out the Fig, Strawberry and Passionfruit Spark Stars from yesterday. I received an email from them asking if I could do up a protein ball... Well Hello!! :-) of course I could. It was just what I needed. I love having purpose and I had a whole day to myself, heaps of other things I needed to do but knew wouldn't really get done so this was perfect. Craig had bought a bucket of Mangoes at the Cotters Markets in Townsville last Sunday and they were ripe and ready to go and I still had about 8 left. I love making most of my stuff with fresh ingredients. Most Mango balls and bars use dried mango which is not only very expensive but not always easy to get. I'm also partial to fresh whole foods anyway so I do this a lot. Because of the fresh mango the balls have a lot more moisture which is how I achieve the fudgy consistency. I've added walnut to the centre for a crunch factor and I have to admit it works perfectly. These are divine. If your not a walnut person then almonds, pecans or oven and brazil would work in the centre.

 Mango and Walnut Protein Fudge Balls


Makes: 10

Ingredeints:

½ cup rolled oats
½ cup almonds
½ cup dried coconut
¾ to 1 cup pitted dates
1  small to medium mango – ripe!
1 tsp vanilla paste

Preparation:
  1. Add oats, almonds, WPC and coconut to a food processor and blend until it resembles fine meal
  2. Add the dates, mango flesh and vanilla then blend until smooth. This can take a while depending on your machine.
  3. Scoop out a large tablespoon of the mix and flatten it into the palm of your hand, place the walnut or walnut pieces in the centre then cover it over and shape into a ball.
  4. Roll in the coconut, repeat until you use up all of the mix then store in the fridge.


Always happy when I feel like a photo shoot went well. I love the flowers in the background of this shot. They give then that festive feeling. Perfect for this time of year. 

Enjoy! :-) 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    I made this protein balls yesterday. I used the WPC Choc and desiccated coconut instead of dried coconut. And it turned out to sticky paste and it won't set. I couldn't roll it into balls. Do you know why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angel, they are a bit sticky when there first made, make sure your hand are damp when you shape them into balls then rolling them in coconut will make them easy to handle. They firm up when the cool in the fridge. The other reason they may have been too soft and a little bit too sticky is you may have had a much larger mango meaning there would have been too much liquid. To fix that just add some more oats or a little bit of ground chia or flax and that will absorb the moisture and make them easy to handle. I hope that helps. :-) Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen.
      I will try again later :)

      Delete

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)