Thursday, November 5, 2015

Tangy Mango Muffins with Crisp Coconut Toffee Top



Here I am in Townsville, living under a Mulberry Tree. Embracing the country air and the heat of Tropical North Queensland.. well maybe we won't call Townsville tropical, it's a bit like Alice Springs at the moment. Very dry and dusty! It's been an week now and be being true to form with my tendencies to be a miser and not go out to buy any extras except essentials which I did on Sunday at the Cotters Markets in Townsville.  Love that market by the way. Great produce at fantastic prices. Also had a lovely meet up with a family friend I hadn't seen for years. It was also my first real venture out since we've left where I've had to pack up the van by myself and head off exploring. It was great. I felt so free and not stressed at all. I've taken to this way of life like a duck to water. Just manifesting a bigger van, this one is amazing but I want the shower and toilet to be separate so that i don't have to dry it every time I shower and I really need an oven cos we bought a brand new BBQ on they day we left and guess what?... we've never used it once!! So much for that being my oven. I think I need to learn how to set it up myself. 



I'm at least half an hour from town so I tend not to 'duck' in there very much. Even though I can get the van packed up and ready to head off in about 10 minutes I'm just not into shopping. But!! I do love cooking and there's a great team of girls working here at the Townsville Pet Resort so I have people to make morning tea for. As I've mentioned before baking and cooking is my happy place and takes me away from the work I am doing. And so far they seem to be really enjoying the crazy creations I have been putting together. They've been pretty wild but super healthy as I don't have any eggs, flours or sugar. But that's OK because I think we should all be eliminating these things from out daily diet and saving them for 'sometimes' foods. 


I woke up the other morning as you do!! at 6am on the dot, no alarm I just seem to do that and ventured out of the van for some morning air. I wanted to make something for the girls and was getting a bit sick of the Mulberries.. maybe I should post some of the recipes I've made with them. There's a huge mango tree right next to it and Clint had mentioned the day before that he thought they'd start ripening in the next week or so. So I headed over to the tree and found some that had fallen onto the ground. They're not fully ripened but I had an idea to do Mango and Lime Muffins and thought to myself well, that could work if I used under ripe mango's instead of adding the lime. (which I didn't have but was going to use lemon zest instead) When not fully ripened they have a little bit of a tang and I thought that if I combine them with some sweetness from dates and honey I could make this work. No eggs or baking flours was my next problem but I came up with a plan for those as well. Remember the Apple and Cinnamon Layer cake that has my psyllium experiment in it from the other day.. it was pretty good and the girls liked it so I was brave and gave it another go.


I just need to warm you before you head off helter skelter to make these expecting light and fluffy melt in your mouth fairy floss muffins! Well, that they ain't!! They are very dense and robust but the almost chewy muffin base with the crisp almost toffee like top makes them really special. I was amazed. That top really made them special. Did I mention the top!! oh, I did, it really is like toffee.. I'm thinking that maybe the left overs in the blender from the mango mix combined with the topping mix might be part of the secret so make sure you don't rinse it before whizzing the second part of the recipe. But don't leave too much as it may go the other way and make them soggy. I only had a half cup of mango so the mango flavour is very subtle but it was still there. I've collected a few more mangoes today and have them in the van ripening a little bit. I'm going to give these another go next week. If you make them let me know how they go? I'd love to know, share it on my facebook or instagram and tag me... :-)

 Tangy Mango Muffins with Crisp Coconut Toffee Top


Makes: 6

Ingredients:

Muffins:

½ cup dates
½ cup nearly ripe mango flesh
3 eggs or 3 tbs psyllium egg
2 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs honey or rice syrup
1/8th tsp stevia powder
2 tbs oat flour or flax meal
3 tbs coconut flour (48g)
Pinch salt
¼ tsp baking soda (1/2 tsp if using psyllium egg)

Psyllium Egg:

To 2 tsp psyllium seeds or powder add 120 ml of hot water and let sit for 20-30 minutes.

Topping:

3 tbs dried coconut
2 tbs oat flour or flax meal
2 tbs honey or rice syrup
2 tbs coconut oil
2-3 tbs walnut pieces - optional

Preparation:

Muffins:
  1. Preheat oven to 170oc and line a 6 muffin pan with liners.
  2. Add the dates, mango, egg, coconut oil and liquid sweetener and blend until smooth and pureed. Set aside while you prepare the dry mixture.
  3. Add the oat flour, coconut flour, stevia, salt and bi-carb to a mixing bowl and stir to combine making sure to remove all lumps.
  4. Add the mango mixture to the dry mixture and fold through until just combined then spoon into the muffin pan.
  5. Quickly add all of the streusel ingredients to the same blender without cleaning it out then pulse to combine. It’s a very wet mix; don’t overdo it, as it’s nice to leave some of the walnuts in pieces for crunch.
  6. Divide the mixture over the top of the muffins then bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until done.
  7. Allow to cool then enjoy!


NOTES:
  1. These are very dense muffins so don’t expect to achieve light and fluffy. If using real eggs you will get a bit more rise but the vegan psyllium egg will be denser.
  2. If you don’t have psyllium you could use a chia or flax egg, follow the instruction for the psyllium egg using finely ground chia or flax meal instead.
  3. Oat flour is just finely ground rolled oats. It’s a very economical high fiber substitute that I tend to use in a lot of baking that helps to keep costs down and nutrition high. J
  4. Paleo – use the almond meal and omit the oats, use honey instead of rice syrup.
  5. Vegan – use the psyllium, chia or flax egg and the rice syrup or maple syrup. 

Here is my Mulberry Tree and here is my home!! 



Enjoy! 
:-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)