Sunday, April 3, 2016

Zoodles with Mushroom, Miso, Dulse and Smoked Oysters



It's a beautiful Sunday morning and I'm about to go for a nice walk. Before any good walk I need my double shot green tea. So, while I gently sip away at my warm beverage I'm going to post this delicious but unusual lunch recipe I made for myself a few weeks ago.


I try to get a dose of oysters in at leat 1-2 times per week. I consider them a superfood. Packed with vitamin B-12 which is one of the hardest macronutrients to find in a natural diet along with Iron, calcium, omega 3 and another one I try to keep on top of, Zinc. And lets face it, they taste great as well. 

I'd also like to point out that you can now purchase smoked oysters in springwater. I've found them in Aldi and Woolworths who both have a great range of sustainably sourced tinned seafoods. I find them the quickest and easiest additions to my lunches and they give me the opportunity to add my own good fats which I'd prefer to do. You never know what or where the oil comes from that they use in the oiled varieties unless you purchase the more expensive brands and seen as I'm a bit of a scrooge that doesn't happen very often. 


Zoodles with Smoked Oysters, Miso and Dulse.

Serves: 1

Ingredients

1 large or 2 small zucchini
2-3 cup fresh greens such as baby spinach, lettuce and rocket. 
1 Lebanese cucumber
3 diced celery stalks
3 large silverbeet or spinach leaves and stems sliced finely
3 mushrooms sliced
1 cup chopped, grated or riced cauliflower
1 tin smoked oysters in springwater
1 tsp dried chives or 1 tbs fresh chopped chives
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1-2 tbs dark Miso
4 tbs dulse flakes
Himalayan salt and black pepper
Ground nuts and seeds to serve - I add Luving Life Wholefoods Nut Free Multi Purpose Bread mix and chopped walnuts. 

Preparation:
  1. Lay the greens in the bottom of a nice big bowl. 
  2. Spiralize* the zucchini and cucumber into the bowl on top of the greens. 
  3. Add the celery, greens, mushrooms, cauliflower and herbs to a pot and place onto a cold stove. 
  4. Turn the stove on to medium heat and allow the vegetables to cook stirring occasionally. You may add some olive oil, coconut oil or butter if you wish but I find it's not necessary. 
  5. Stir the vegetable mix every few minutes and you will find that the juices will release from the vegetables so that they steam up nice and gently without making it too watery or oily. 
  6. Once the vegetables are soft turn off the heat and add the miso, dulse flakes, salt and pepper along with the smoked oysters then stir through. 
  7. Spoon the cooked mixture on top of the zoodles then garnish with extra chives and chilli if you wish, the nuts and seeds then serve immediately and enjoy!! 

NOTES:
  • If you don't have a spiralizer you can grate the vegetables or use a peeler to create long noodles. 
  • This recipes also works well with tinned sardines, salmon and tuna. 
  • Be adventurous with your noodles, carrots, beetroot and pumpkin also work well. 
  • Spiralizers are now readily available at most specialty kitchen shops, grab one if you wish to cut back on high carb pasta , your gluten free, Paleo, grain free. or you/re just looking at ways to add more vegetables to you meals. You'll be amazed at how good vegetables taste when prepared differently. 
Oodles of Zoodles - #yum 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)