Saturday, August 20, 2016

Date and Almond Chocolate Fudge - Healthy, Delicious, Nutritious


I have a chocoholic husband! What more can I say. A version of this recipe is always in our fridge. Not always this almond and date one, sometimes I'll make other combinations such as walnuts and sultanas, dried cherries and walnuts etc. Because it's something I make often, I always use basic ingredients from my pantry that I can get from any grocery shop and don't cost the earth. Healthy eating has to be sustainable and I find that keeping to the basics helps.


To keep in line with my frugal ways I've started to add rolled oats to the mix and the results are great. Still super fudgy, flavour is amazing and it helps to keep the overall cost down, adding healthy cholesterol lowering fibre and also highly nutritious. 


I've told you about my husbands chocolate addiction now I'll tell you about my obsession with just throwings things together on a whim. And yes, just about every time I make these it's on a whim! He leaves the empty bowl in the fridge for me to find at the most inopportune times. So, that means I usually grab then blender, take it to the pantry, throw in the ingredients I know will create great taste, texture and fudge then whizz away to my hearts content until I get the consistency I need. I have a Vitamix which is perfect for this recipe. High speed, strong motor and has good speed control. You can also get great results with a strong food processor but it will take a lot longer. Just be patient, it's worth the wait to get it right.

 Date and Almond Chocolate Fudge 

Makes: 25-30 round slices

Ingredients:

1/3 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup almonds
1/3 cup pitted dates
1/3 cup sultanas
1/3 cup walnuts
2-3 tbs coconut sugar
2 1/2 tbs raw cacao powder
1 tsp cinnamon - optional but great for controlling insulin as well at taste!
1 tsp vanilla - optional

1/2 cup almond pieces or slivers - I chop my own
1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
1/3 cup organic coconut shreds - optional (not in the pic)

Preparation:
  1. Add all ingredients to a high speed blender or food processor. 
  2. If using a blender, start of low until all of the ingredients have been chopped to resemble crumbs then turn to max speed making sure to move the mix around and away from the blade as much as possible to avoid overloading the motor. 
  3. Keep going until it turn into fudge and starts to form a ball
  4. If using  food processor just keep blending until it turns in a ball, you may have to stop it and push the sides down but persevere, it will eventually get there. 
  5. Turn fudge out onto a board then flatten it out a little
  6. Place the almond pieces, dates and coconut if using and knead them into the fudge
  7. Roll it into a long 2-3cm snake and place into the fridge to get firm. I roll mine into a reflex sheet or non stick baking paper.
  8. After about 6-8 hours it will be firm enough to slice into 1/2 cm slices with a sharp clean knife. 
  9. Stores indefinitely in the fridge. 
Remember to check me out on Instagram and Facebook and tag your creation #karenluvslife so I can check them out.

Last but not least.. Enjoy! :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)