Friday, September 9, 2016

Tomato Sauce - Home made is always best!


My obsession with healthy homemade alternatives never seems to dwindle. Hubby wanted tomato sauce on his dinner the other night and I didn't have any. I usually have my Sugar free Tomato Sauce made up but haven't done any since moving down here to the gorgeous country side if North East Victoria. 


I'm also pretty obsessed with re creating staples and treats with as many easy to purchase healthy alternative ingredients, especially those that most people usually have in their Pantry or fridge. This recipe fits that bill perfectly. I got inspiration from the above recipe and this is the result. I'm really pleased with it and had to test on Craig before I shared it or added it to my online cookbook for all to see. It's a fact, I find having all my favourite recipes conveniently located on my blog extremely convenient when I need to make them for myself and want the result to be exactly like its supposed to be. Yikes, not everything has to be an experiment! What's with purchasing apps anyway? I find my blog and the functionality of it on my phone to be just as good. And it costs nothing. ;-)

Tomato Sauce


Makes: 500 ml bottle

Ingredients:

1 tbs olive oil
1 onion diced
1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic granules or 1 clove crushed
1 tsp sea salt
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 500ml bottle tomato Passata

Preparation: 
  1. Add oil to a medium pot, and then add the onion, garlic, salt, sugar and Dijon mustard.
  2. Stir to cook the onion and combine ingredients for about 1-2 minutes
  3. Add the coconut sugar and stir through.
  4. Add the vinegar and Passata then turn to low and simmer with the lid off for about 40-45 minutes or until it starts thicken.
  5. Turn heat off and allow to cool slight before blending then storing in a sterilised glass bottle.


NOTES:

You could sub brown sugar for the coconut sugar
I use Himalayan salt
I use the Passata bottle; once I’ve added the contents to the pot I clean it thoroughly with soap and hot water and remove the label (yes, I’m slightly OCD!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)