Friday, October 21, 2016

Chewy Salted Peanut, Sultana and Caramel Cookies

How can something so experimental work out so damn good! Most would have called these an absolute failure. I was experimenting make in caramel with coconut sugar and added to much coconut water, then when I added the salt it got lumps in it. So I left it no the stove to cool off and contemplate what I would do with it as I tend not to waste anything. 
Morning tea was coming up hard and fast and I had a limited time to get something delicious, creative and vegan over to the band of merry workers by 10.30! Cookies, I haven't made cookies for while went through me head. Quick what can they be? A quick glance in the pantry and I spotted an opened packet of salted peanuts that needed to be used and decided that some of the fresh sultanas I'd purchased the day before was a better option that choc chips as we'd decided it was a chocolate free day! That is until dinner arrives then he's in the fridge quietly sneaking handfuls of the Date and Almond Chocolate Fudge that I make sure it always on hand for such cravings.
 Back to the cookies!!! That was it, I threw the ingredients into the mixing bowl and in my rush quick added 1/2 cup cacao buttons to the coconut sugar salted caramel and gently heated it up to melt the buttons. Not using honey kept it vegan and it helped to use up the failed caramel. I gave it a quick mix then decided it needed to be really thick and fudgy to get the desired OMGYUM factor so I got my hands into it and gave it a good squishy mix up! Mmm things where starting to happen. This time it was gong to be mega cookies so I shaped them into huge cookies, threw them on the baking trays, whipped them into the oven and headed off to do a quick 8 minute tabata while they baked! At 15 minutes i took them out and headed off to do some stretching not realising that they hadn't cooked properly. When I go back to them I though! Far out! oops!! then as I removed them I realise the outer edges where all sugary and crisp while the centre was all stretchy and gooey. #sodamgood #whatmorecanisay! so here's the recipe. :-)
 Chewy Salted Peanut, Sultana and Caramel Cookies


Makes: 12 large cookies

Ingredients:

Caramel:
1 cup coconut sugar
50ml coconut water, milk or water

Cookies:
1 cup almond meal
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup coconut sugar
½ cup sultanas
½ cup salted peanuts
½ cup coconut flakes
1 tbs mesquite – optional
1/2 cup cacao butter, butter or coconut oil
3 tbs water

Preparation:

Caramel:

Add sugar and coconut milk/water to a pot on medium and simmer for approx. 45 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
Add the salt and stir through, leave to simmer for another 5-10 minutes then turn off the heat and allow to cool

Cookies:

Preheat oven to 160 oc and grease or line 2 baking trays with non stick baking paper.
Add the almond meal, rolled oats, sugar, sultanas, peanuts, coconut flakes and mesquite to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
Add the cacao butter to the caramel, gently heat and stir until the butter dissolves, then stir the caramel mixture into the almond meal mixture with the water.
Using your hands continue to mix the dough until it becomes thick and gooey.
Take a good handful and roll it into a ball then flatten it out to about 1-2 cm.
Repeat with the rest of the mixture making sure to spread them out on the baking trays leaving a good 4 -6cm between each cookie.
Place into the centre 2 racks of the oven and bake for 14-15 minutes or until they flatten out and the edges start to brown.
Remove for the oven.
Allow to cool completely before removing from the baking paper.
Best stored in the fridge, the outside remains crisp from the caramelised sugar and the centre chewy.

NOTES:

Paleo: use quinoa flakes or almond sliver in place of the oats.
If you cannot get cacao butter you can substitute coconut oil or butter.
For a choc chip version you could substitute the sultanas for choc chips or use both!
Caramel can be made the day before.



Enjoy! :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)