Monday, October 10, 2016

Salted Peanut, Coconut and Caramel Slice

Who doesn't love a good crumble, covering a yummy layer of sweet and gooey caramel, filled with salted peanuts and chewy sultanas on a healthy sugar free shortbread base? We all loved this one. It would be perfect served hot with cold coyo, yoghurt, ice cream or fresh cream. To make it decadent, add some extra caramel sauce warmed up and drizzled over the top. 
One of the benefits of blogging is how I can go back through my blog and see what I was making years ago. It's quite a journey. With all the moving we've done in the last few years it shows how I've had to adapt and be create by using different methods to create healthy treats for my hubby, staff or family. It'a a food diary and some. I need to start sharing more of the savory meals we have but as I've mentioned before, by that time of day getting a nice pic just does't seem to happen unfortunately. 
That brings me to another one of my blogging obstacles, taking pictures!! I'd love for my images to be much better than they are. Food photography is huge these days and I LOVE photography. Creating and cooking up new recipes is the easy bit, actually it's therapeutic part of it all for me... creating a nice image raises my anxiety and stresses me! Mainly because I'm always strapped for time! Running a business that also requires me to take photos becomes extremely time consuming. Although I must admit I’ve developed a new love for pet and animal photography. 
Salted Peanut, Coconut and Caramel Slice
Paleo | Vegan

Makes: 20 x 20 cm slice

Base:

1 ½ cup Luving Life Wholefoods SRF or 1 1/4 cups blanched almond meal, 2 tbs tapioca or arrowroot and 1 tsp baking powder
½ cup xylitol or coconut sugar 
2 lge heaped tbs coconut oil
1/3 cup coconut cream

Caramel:

½ cup dates
½ cup coconut sugar
½ cup raw cashews
approx. ½ cup coconut milk

Coconut Crumble:

½ cup coconut shreds
½ cup almond meal
½ cup xylitol
2 tbs cold coconut oil
3 tbs maple syrup or rice syrup

Fill ins:

½ cup sultanas
½ cup salted peanuts or salted cashews for Paleo
½ cup vegan chocolate chips

Preparation:

Base:

Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir  to combine.
Press into the bottom of the prepared baking tray

Caramel:

Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy
Pour caramel over the base and spread out evenly

Coconut Crumble:

Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix together with fingertips to create a course mixture that stick together when pressed into a ball
Sprinkle the sultanas, peanuts and choc chips over the caramel then distribute the coconut crumble over the top and press down lightly.


Bake at 16-170 no fan for approx. 30 minutes.
Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)