Thursday, January 26, 2017

Aussie Tim Tam Cake - Paleo


 G'Day, Happy Australia Day....I know we usually associate it with Lamingtons, Pavlova, Meat Pies and Sausage rolls but what about the other Aussie Icon, the famous Tim Tam. I did this recipes a few years ago, it's amazing so I thought is was time I shared it, so I quickly put this together and am now rushing like a mad women to get it on before tomorrow!
To make it super special I've made it Paleo, yep, that means it Grain Free, Gluten Free and Dairy Free! Why did I do that you ask? ... Why not...that's how I roll! Anyway who cares, everyone I've ever given it to has never even noticed that it's a healthy version. Actually I'd probably have to say it taste better. Big call I know but the caramel overtones of the coconut sugar and the combination of  the coconut cream and oil with the chocolate, take it to the next level! Don't believe me....you'll just have to try it for yourself. If you have tomorrow off, have a go at baking it. You'l love it. 
If this seems too hard and complicated have a crack at some of the other traditional Australian recipes I've healthified, they're little rippers! I have a host of Anzac inspired recipes such as my Anzac CookiesAnzac TartsAnzac Granola and Aussie Anzac Kingstons . 
Or the more traditional recipes such as my Paleo Lamingtons,  Meat free Sausage rolls for my meat free followers or my Chilli Chicken Sausage Rolls for a bit of spice! Serve them with some of my Homemade Tomato Sauce or my Sugar Free Tomato Sauce. In the meantime I'm going to have a go at making a Pavlova with Coconut sugar instead of the nasty white stuff most are made of. ;-) Stay posted, I'm sure that if it works I'll be pretty eager to share it!
All in all, Stay safe, happy baking and cooking, but most of all .. Happy Australia Day! 

Paleo Tim Tam Cake

Ingredients:

Cake:

1-cup almond meal
½ cup coconut flour
1-cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup raw cacao powder
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
100ml coconut oil
3 eggs
100ml coconut yoghurt or cream

Chocolate Cream Filling:

1 cup fresh young coconut meat
¾ cup raw cashews – soaked 3 hours, rinsed and drained
½ cup pitted dates
100ml coconut milk
2 tbs honey, agave or maple syrup
2 tbs raw cacao powder

Chocolate Ganache:

¾ cup raw cacao paste
¼ cup raw cacao butter
½ cup coconut sugar

Preparation:

Cake:

Preheat oven to 180oc and line or grease a 16x21 cm rectangular baking dish (I used a Pyrex dish as it also had the rounded edges that gave it the real Tim Tam shape)
Add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl then give them a good stir with a spoon or whisk to distribute all of the ingredients evenly, especially the baking mix.
Make a well in the centre then add the eggs, oil and coconut cream or yoghurt.
Mix the wet ingredients together to break up the eggs, then mix them through with the other wet ingredients.
Fold the whole lot through the drying ingredients until you get a thick batter
Pour the batter into the baking dish, level the top then place in the oven for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out dry.
Remove from oven and let cool before removing from dish.
Store the cake in the fridge while you prepare the filling and ganache.

Filling:

Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend until super smooth and creamy.
Remove from the blender and place into a bowl or dish so that you can put it in the fridge to cool before spreading onto the cake

Ganache:

Add all ingredients to a heat proof bowl and melt in a dehydrator, oven on its lowest temperature or over a hot water bath.
Once melted stir thoroughly to combine the ingredients and dissolve the coconut sugar properly.
Allow to cool until it is thick enough to spread evenly onto the cake without it running off, but not too cool that it won’t spread.

Construction:

Carefully slice the cake in half horizontally, placing the top to the side. 
Spread the filing onto the bottom layer leaving a small space at the edges as it will spread out when you place the top back on. 
Carefully place the top onto the bottom layer covered with filling and gently pressed down until the filling just reaches the edges. 
Very carefully pour the ganache over the centre of the cake and with a large flat knife or spatula spread the ganache over the top and down the sides then smooth it out.
Place into the fridge to cool and set. 
Cut and hide half the cake for yourself for ron! ;-) 
Share the rest with friends and family &
Most of all... Enjoy! :-) 

#happyaustraliaday! xx k 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)