Friday, January 20, 2017

Homemade Coconut Greek Yoghurt



With just 2 ingredients and you'll have the best dairy free yoghurt you'll ever taste. Comment from one of our Vegan staff members I gave some to: "It tastes just like Greek Yoghurt, you can't even tell that it's made with coconut milk" 
I've improved on the first Coconut Yoghurt recipe I did a few years ago. After you've made your first batch you'll only ever need the 2 ingredients .. good coconut milk and tapioca starch. My favourite coconut milk is the Aldi brand, it's super creamy and it has amazing taste and consistency. You'll find that all yoghurt's made from non dairy sources have a thickening agent. For this yoghurt I'm using the same one Coyo use, Tapioca. It's their little secret I've discovered. The recipe is super simple. I make mine first thing in the morning then place it in my dehydrator for at least 24 hours on 38 degrees Celsius.
 If you've been following me for a while you notice that I don't like to purchase basic staples that I can make at home. Most of time my intention is to improve the ingredients list and secondly it saves me money, hence this easy coconut yoghurt recipe. It's very expensive to purchase and if you're adding it to your baking recipes as well as smoothies, bircher bowls and smoothie bowls, you'll go through it very quickly.
If you're a yoghurt lover and you want a dairy free alternative make sure to give this simple recipe a go. You'll find that the longer you use it, the better it will get. I've been using this one now for 3 months and it just keeps getting better and better. You may find that at first they are not as thick and not as tart, but with time the culture will improve. I don't add probiotics to mine as I love the idea of creating and growing my own from a good quality natural yoghurt that you'll have to purchase to get it started. Good luck and don't give up! :-)
 Coconut Greek Yoghurt
Recipe by: Karen Kitto

Makes: 1 x 800ml jar

You will need:

1 800ml jar or 2 400 ml jars - sterilized and clean.

Ingredients:

2 400ml can of good quality full fat Coconut milk
2 tbs tapioca starch
2-4 tbs Good quality natural Coconut yoghurt.

Preparation:

Add the coconut milk to a medium pot with the tapioca and stir with a balloon whisk until the tapioca is fully incorporated and there are no lumps.
Turn the heat to medium and stir while it warms up and thickens. It's important to keep stirring or you will get lumps in the mix from the tapioca.
Once it's reached a thick consistency like pouring custard, turn off the heat and set the pot aside to cool to body temperature. Approx 38ᶜ degrees .
NOTE: Don't test it by dipping your finger in it as you will contaminate the mix, I feel the side of the pot to do this.
Add the natural coconut yoghurt from a previous batch or a store bought one to the thickened milk and whisk it though until smooth and fully incorporated.
Pour the mix into the jar or jars, put lid on loosely, then place in a dehydrator* at 30ᶜ degrees for 24 hours.

NOTES:

To sterilise my jars all I do is clean them thoroughly in very hot water then rinse again with boiling water and let them dry naturally to ensure they don't get contained by bacteria. There are other ways, but I find this has worked for me. My favourite brand of coconut milk is the Aldi Asia Specialties (don't get the low fat!) If you can't get tapioca starch then arrowroot should be just as good as they are generally interchangeable. Make sure that your started yoghurt is pure and natural and nothing has been dipped into it that would contaminate it. Always use a fresh clean spoon. If you don't have a dehydrator you can also place the jars in your oven with the light on or add the mix to a thermos or yoghurt maker. Last resort, a warm spot such as on the fridge should work as well. After 24 hours put the yoghurt in the fridge, it will thicken a little bit more as it cools. Remember to never double dip so that you can use this mix as a starter for your next batch of yoghurt. It's a bit like sourdough, it improves with age! :-) Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer:

I am not a doctor, registered dietitian or fitness expert. The purpose of my blog is to share my experiences with food, fitness and life and hopefully to inspire you. All content provided on my blog is for informational purposes only. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. Karen

Karenluvslife

Labels

baking (70) bread (13) breakfast (72) Dairy free (211) dessert (90) Dinner (51) dips and sauces; sauces (43) extra's (17) Fitness (6) gluten free (231) Grain free (169) low calorie (51) lunch (85) Paleo (201) raw food (122) salad (21) smoothie (8) snacks (194) vegan (162) vegetarian (45)